ABC’S of Home-Built Camping Trailers
ABC’s of Home-Built Camping Trailers
This guide is for folks with an idea of what they want in a camping trailer and are looking for guidance because they have not done a project like this before.
ABC’s of Home-Built Camping Trailers is a good overview for understanding what is involved and assessing if a project like this is right for you. You can order the guide from our store here.
Home-built camping trailers are nothing new. Using plywood, glue, and a handful of screws, people have been creating durable, functional, camping trailers for years. It’s a project that will give you the pleasure and satisfaction of building something with your own two hands that you can then enjoy for many years to come.
This guide focuses on Tent Topped style Camping Trailers tailored to smaller vehicles with a tow capacity in the 1000 lb. range. Although you can “shrink” or “super-size” your trailer, even build it as a Gear Hauler without a tent unit; depending on what your needs are.
Whether you plan to build a basic workhorse or functional work of art, this guide is designed as a resource to help DIY’ers convert their ideas into the perfect camping trailer. It will help the reader understand their needs and develop a plan for tailoring a camping trailer to your needs. It assumes you’ll be using a readily available bolt-together style frame kit, making this mainly a woodworking project.
- It’s divided into three sections; assessing your needs, work-space and tools, and details of building.
- The guide begins by helping you evaluate your needs and to start developing a plan.
- Then it discusses the minimum and optional tools necessary for a project of this type.
- Next it covers the details of how-to build with a continued focus on good planning.
- Then wrapping up with some additional resources information.
If you are ready to build a Home-Built Camping Trailer, check out our Explorer Box Trailer Build Manual.